Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 75 STR 65 24- Lift 800 tons; 15d6 HTH Damage 11 DEX 3 11- OCV: 4/DCV: 4 50 CON 80 19- 36 BODY 52 16- 1 INT -9 9- PER Roll 9- 0 EGO -- 9- ECV: 0 40 PRE 30 17- PRE Attack: 8d6 2 COM -4 9- 7 PD 6 Total: 7 PD (7 rPD) 7 ED 12 Total: 7 ED (7 rED) 3 SPD 9 Phases: 4, 8, 12 25 REC 0 100 END 0 -- STUN -- Total Characteristics Cost: 244 Movement: Running: 6"/12" Cost Powers & Skills 30 Body Of Ice: EB 2d6, Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1), NND (defense is Life Support (Safe Environment [Intense Cold], heat powers, or insulating clothing; +1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Always On (-1/2) 135 Freezing Blast: RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect (10" Cone; +1) plus RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect (10" Cone; +1), Linked (-1/2), Only Versus Inorganic Material (-1/2), END 18 37 Immense Fists: Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) for up to 75 STR, END +4 60 Body Of Ice: Takes No STUN 60 Body Of Ice: Sight and Hearing Group Flash Defense (10 points each) 72 Immense Weight: Knockback Resistance (-12") 30 Body Of Ice: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Resistant Defenses 40 Body Of Ice: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing, Diminished Eating: Need Not Eat, Safe Environment: Intense Cold, Longevity: Does Not Age, Immunity: Diseases And Poisons) 42 Aura Of Freezing Cold: Change Environment 32" radius, -4 Temperature Levels, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) 24 Body Of Ice: Healing 3d6 (Regeneration; 3 BODY per Turn), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Extra Time + Increased Time Increment (1 Turn; -1), Self Only (-1/2) 8 Long Arms: Stretching 2Ó, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 538 Total Powers & Skills Cost 782 Total Character Cost 200+ Disadvantages 20 Enraged: Berserk: when someone/thing interferes with his movement (Common), go 8-, recover 14- 25 Hunted: the superheroes of Europe (MoPow, Destroy) 14- 25 Hunted: Norwegian Government (MoPow, Lim Geo, Destroy) 14- 20 Physical Limitation: Enormous, 8 meters tall with a 400,000 kg mass (-4 DCV, +4 to PER Rolls to perceive) (A, G) 20 Physical Limitation: Instinctive Intelligence (A, G) 25 Psychological Limitation: Compelled To Keep Move In A Straight Line (VC, T) 15 Reputation: mindless monster 11-, extreme 30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY from Flame and Heat attacks 402 Experience 782 Total Disadvantage Points
1) For the first step in debugging Glacier, I removed the 6 levels of Growth and 6 levels of Density Increase (Always On), per the accepted 5th Edition way of creating heavy and large characters. I then rebuilt Glacier's Characteristics, adjusting the cost of his PD and ED to account for his Takes No STUN power. I note that the original Glacier received 20 points for buying his EGO back to 0, which is illegal, as it is automatically a 0 when you use Takes No STUN.
2) I reduced the cost of his Area Of Effect (One Hex) STR to 37 points from 112. 112 is the total cost for a 75 STR x 1.5.
3) Rebuilt Glacier's Damage Shield to account for 5th Edition changes.
4) Rebuilt Life Support, Change Environment, and Healing powers to account for 5th Edition changes.
5) Fixed the point values for all Disadvantages. I removed the undescribed Distinctive Features as that doesn't seem to qualify under 5th Edition. I added in the Enormous Physical Limitation per The Ultimate Brick, and bumped up its value to account for Glacier's great weight. I also used the Instinctive Intelligence Disadvantage from the HERO System Bestiary to replace Glacier's original one to the same effect.
6) The original version of Glacier cost 707 points. He now costs 782, a 75-point increase. As with Carpathia, he saved 80 points by removing the 6 levels of Growth and 6 levels of Density Increase. He also saved 75 points by purchasing his Area Of Effect (One Hex) STR correctly. Of course all of his savings was then eaten up by increased Characteristics costs, the increased cost of his Healing and Life Support, and paying triple for any Defensive powers.
7) Assessment: Glacier looks dangerous but he isn't. With a 7 DEF, he can be stopped by a well-armed SWAT team, and would fall in Phases to a military fireteam. He has a SPD of 3, 6" of Running (as does Carpathia, no increased Running for the giant-sized?), and a DCV of 0. Set, Brace, and fire at full auto with your M-16s and M-60s. I'm fairly sure that he'd drop pretty quickly. Bring some armor into play and Glacier becomes so much crushed ice (how well does 7 DEF protect against an M1A1's main gun? Answer: not very.)
If that's not bad enough, Glacier gets trashed in a simple fist fight with Carpathia. She does, on average 7 BODY with each punch, while she takes an average of 14 STUN from his punches and 7 STUN from his NND. She can take 5 Phases of his punches, during which she hits him for 35 BODY. Note, however, that she will hit him for 35 BODY in one Turn, while he only hits her for 42 STUN (+ 21 from his NND). She has 72 STUN to start with and is still standing. Even with his Healing, Glacier is in big trouble before he can land punch number five. If Carpathia Haymakers (might as well, no one is going anywhere in this fight) she does 14 BODY after defenses, and Glacier is in heaps of trouble. Simply put, Glacier needs a lot more DEF to be much of a threat to anyone.
Glacier's RKA looks really dangerous, until you realize the original author Linked the attacks together. What does that mean? That means some non-organic target (like a car) takes 2 3d6 RKAs, as opposed to on large 6d6 RKA. I think that needs fixing.
As unstoppable monsters go, Glacier needs a lot of work. A higher DEF and some better defined attacks would work for starters. I also think some warm weather Limitations on his Regeneration would be a good idea.
Return to European Enemies Character Revisions