Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 25 STR 15 14- Lift 800 kg; 5d6 HTH Damage  21 DEX 33 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7 25 CON 30 14- 10 BODY 0 11- 13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12- 14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5 18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6 20 COM 5 13- 12 PD 7 Total: 12 PD (0 rPD) 29 ED 24 Total: 29 ED (20 rED) 5 SPD 19 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 10 REC 0 50 END 0 36 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 157 Movement: Running: 6"/12" Flight: 40"/80" Leaping: 5"/10" Swimming: 2"/4" Cost Powers & Skills 80 Light Manipulation Powers: Multipower, 100-point reserve, all slots Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4) 11m 1) EB 16d6; No Knockback (-1/4), Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4), END 8 12m 2) EB 12d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2); No Knockback (-1/4), Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4), END 9 12m 3) EB 12d6, Explosion (+1/2); No Knockback (-1/4), Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4), END 9 13m 4) Sight Group Flash 8d6, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1); Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4), END 8 13m 5) Flight 40"; Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4), END 8 33 Sight Group Flash 4d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1); Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Power Only Works In Daylight (-1/4) 10 Damage Resistance (20 ED) Perks 5 Fringe Benefit: Member of the Aristocracy/Higher Nobility Talents 3 Perfect Pitch Skills 9 +3 with Multipower 3 Acrobatics 13- 3 Electronics 12- 3 Language: English (completely fluent) 1 Language: French (basic conversation) 0 Language: Swedish (idiomatic; literate) 5 PS: Musician/Singer 15- 3 Streetwise 13- Total Powers & Skill Cost: 219 Total Cost: 371 200+ Disadvantages 20 Accidental Change: when exposed to daylight 11- (Very Common) 20 Hunted: Finnish Government 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture) 25 Hunted: Swedish Government 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture) 15 Psychological Limitation: Believes He Should Be Treated Like Nobility (Common, Strong) 15 Psychological Limitation: Hates Hoarfrost (Common, Strong) 15 Psychological Limitation: Loves Yana Knurason (a.k.a. Hoarfrost) (Common, Strong) 10 Reputation: mad killer, 11- 15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Major) 10 Susceptibility: to Hoarfrost 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon) 5 Unluck: 1d6 10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY cold-based attacks (Uncommon) 11 Experience Points 371 Total Disadvantage Points
1) Midnight Sun paid 10 points for his 12 PD. This was corrected to 7 (25/5 = 5 base PD).
2) Midnight Sun paid 25 points to have his 29 ED. This was corrected to 24 (25/5 = 5 base ED).
3) Midnight Sun paid a whopping 40 points for his 5 SPD. This was corrected to 19 ([21/10] = 2.1 + 1 = 3.1 base SPD).
4) The errata sheet states that Midnight Sun's EB 16d6 should have the No Knockback Limitation. I made the correction. I would also like to point out that the Limitation is written as "Only Works In Daylight," while the Powers/Tactics text states the powers work as long as it's day outside. Thus, his powers work inside a building or even if it is cloudy or overcast. I really think the Limitation needs to be worded to something like "Only During The Day" or "Not At Night" and should only be a (-1/4) Limitation.
5) In order to keep Midnight Sun from blinding himself, I added "Personal Immunity" to his Continuous Flash Attack. I also had to add "Uncontrolled" for it to work properly as an Always On power.
6) Combat Skill Levels bought at 3 points per level, not 5, since his Multipower certainly qualifies as a "tight group."
7) Kudos to Midnight Sun for being the first published character I can think of offhand to have "Perfect Pitch" in their write-up.
8) Basing the PS off of PRE drops it to 5 points.
9) Fixed the point values for all Disadvantages. I must admit, these Disadvantages indicate that someone in the design process was totally out to lunch. He has an Accidental Change, but no where does it say what he changes into. He glows brightly, but he doesn't have a Distinctive Features to account for this (What? No bonus to other's PER Rolls to spot him?). He is another one of those Public ID types, who also happens to be a psychopath, and is Hunted by two major governments. Yeah... right. Oh, and while we are on the subject, look at his Reputation—"mad killer." Do you know how many characters in European Enemies have this sort of Reputation? Somewhere between 8 and 12 (depending on how you look at it). I mean, come on, just how many psychopaths and sociopaths does an Enemies book need? This is a Champions supplement, not a Dark Champions book.
10) The original version of Midnight Sun cost 384 points. He now costs 371, a 13-point decrease. Having him pay the right amounts for his Characteristics helped a lot.
11) Assessment: Okay... let's start at the top. Midnight Sun's Multipower is fine, no complaints there, but... his No Range Flash doesn't work as described in the text, and, in fact, doesn't do much at all. Although it's Always On, it hasn't been bought with any sort of Area of Effect Advantage (or Explosion) so its not going to hit anyone (unless Midnight Sun hits them, and he has to specifically use his Flash, not just punch them). So, basically, he's dropped 33 points on a power that does nothing (and in the original version, he's dropped 27 points on a power that does nothing but blind himself!).
The funniest part of Midnight Sun's write up has to be the fact he's just asking to die at the hands of Hoarfrost. He hates her, but takes 1d6 per Turn if she... uhm... hmm... I guess if she touches him or is really close by (funny... Hoarfrost also takes 1d6 from Midnight Sun...). He also takes 2 x BODY from Cold attacks, which means that when Hoarfrost unloads her 5d6 RKA on Midnight Sun he takes (on average) 34 BODY! Oh, Armor Piercing, but that doesn't matter because Midnight Sun doesn't have any resistant PD, and only has 10 BODY. Scratch one Midnight Sun. I guess it's a good thing that Hoarfrost has that "Loves Midnight Sun" Psychological Limitation, eh?
Return to European Enemies Character Revisions